You have a few choices for how you can check in for your flight: online, from your mobile device and at the airport.
General check-in tips
To help ensure your trip goes smoothly, allow enough time to check in and pass through security. Here are some handy check-in tips and recommendations:
- To streamline your travel experience, we recommend you check in online — on the integrated united.com website, available to you starting March 3.
- You can check in with United up to 24 hours prior to your flight's departure time.
- For domestic flights, we suggest you check in at least one hour prior to your scheduled departure.
- For international itineraries, we suggest you check in at least two hours prior to your scheduled departure. This gives you extra time in case any travel documents need to be collected.
- For a walkthrough of how to check in from an airport kiosk, read our article "Check-in options: The airport kiosk."
You can find specific check-in and airport processing times in the Airport Information section of united.com.
Before you start the check-in process, you'll want to have your United flight confirmation number, eTicket number or MileagePlus® number ready. Then you can head to the home page.
Here you have a couple options for checking in for your flight:
1. Hover your mouse over the Reservations tab, and then select Check-in for Flight in the drop-down menu. The Flight Check-in page opens.
2. In the Print Boarding Pass tab in the center panel of the home page, type your flight confirmation number or your MileagePlus account number into the text box, and then press Go. The Traveler Information page opens with a question about children accompanying you on your flight.
If you aren't traveling with children, press Continue. The Review Travel Details page opens.
Note: If you have your OnePass® number in your record, we will search both MileagePlus and OnePass numbers to find the reservation.
Tip: You can access the Flight Check-in page from the center panel's Print Boarding Pass tab — by selecting More Check-in options.
Review and make updates
After you’ve retrieved your reservation, you can review your itinerary on the Review Travel Details page and make updates to your travel plans including:
Requesting a seat change or upgrade
Indicating if you are planning to check bags (with the option to pre-pay for bags)
On the Review Travel Details page, you'll see the Traveler Information section at the bottom of the Current Itinerary box. To view, change or choose a seat for your flight, select the Change Seats button. A page opens that shows the seat map for the aircraft assigned to your flight, organized by cabin and color to indicate exit rows and Economy Plus seats.
If you indicated on the Review Travel Details page that you're checking bags, you'll have access to the Checking Bags page, where you can select the number and size of the bags.
Obtain your boarding pass
Now all you need to do is select how and when you would like to obtain your boarding pass:
Print your boarding pass right away.
Have it emailed to you for printing at a later time.
Go paperless and get an electronic version on your mobile device.
Receive it by fax
As an option, you can obtain your boarding pass at one of our airport kiosks.
If you have a return flight, you have the option to auto check-in for that flight. On the Review Remaining Itinerary page, select the box next to I would like to I would like to use Auto Check-in for the remainder of my itinerary. The auto check-in service automatically checks you in within 24 hours of your remaining flights.
We hope this helps you check in online with success. Be sure to see other articles in this section for guidance on booking your ticket, managing your MileagePlus profile, purchasing an Economy Plus seat and more.