You can use an electronic travel certificate or a gift certificate when you’re booking your reservation on united.com. The process for redeeming an electronic travel certificate depends on the type:
United electronic travel certificate (beginning with 1016)
Former Continental electronic discount certificate with Promotion Code and PIN
Former Continental travel certificate (containing the code TCVA)
Gift certificate issued by Continental or issued by United on or after March 3, 2012
You can redeem paper certificates by calling United Reservations at 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331).
To redeem a United electronic travel certificate (beginning with 1016) or use a promotion code and PIN
1. Begin your flight search either by entering your flight preferences in the trip search box on the left side of the united.com home page.
2. Locate the Offer Code
box (just below the Time
boxes on the right) and enter your certificate number (beginning with 1016) or promotion code and PIN.
Note: Enter the numbers without any spaces between digits.
3. Select the option to search by Price or Schedule.
Note: You will not be able to use your certificate if you search by award travel option.
4. Select the Search button and then on the next pages select the discounted flights that you wish to book.
Continue on to complete your purchase.
Note: Discounted flights are marked with a blue star icon and the words “Promotional Offer Applied”.
To redeem a travel certificate issued by Continental (with a code containing the letters TCVA) or a gift certificate issued by Continental or by United (on or after March 3, 2012)
1. Begin your flight search by entering your flight preferences in the trip search box on the united.com home page. Choose your departure and arrival cities and your travel dates, and then press the Search button to access the Flight Search page opens.
2. After you’ve selected your flights, you’ll arrive on the Traveler Information page, where you enter your contact information.
3. When you reach the Purchase Summary page, scroll down to the Payment Information section, where you’ll see a Redemption Options area, with buttons you can select from these three choices:
Note: Gift certificates issued by United prior to March 3 are paper certificates that cannot be redeemed online.
Enter your PIN and select Apply
The page refreshes and at the top, under Purchase Summary, you’ll see that the Travel Certificate amount will be deducted from the ticket total, showing the new Total Price of the ticket. If you owe an amount, then you select a payment option. If the electronic ticket covers the entire amount of the ticket, then select I agree – continue to Purchase.
The discounts will be applied to your purchase.
To complete the booking process, at the bottom of the page, select I Agree - Continue to Purchase.
To redeem a former Continental discount certificate or discount code
This process is identical to the one for redeeming a United Airlines electronic certificate or using a promotion code.
To redeem a paper certificate
We’re unable to redeem paper certificates online or at the airport. To redeem a certificate you must do both of the following:
- Call United Reservations at 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331).
- Mail your certificate to:
P.O. Box 1394
Houston, TX 77251-1394
We will apply the discount on your ticket after we’ve received your certificate.
If you mail your certificate 14 days in advance of making your reservation, the discount will be applied at the time when the ticket is issued.
If you mail your certificate within 14 days of making your reservation, the ticket will be issued at the original fare. Once the ticket processing center receives your certificate, the applicable value will be refunded to the form of payment used for purchase.