Introducing Everyday Awards to our MileagePlus program
We're announcing changes to our MileagePlus® program that include adjustments to the award travel options available to members for travel booked on or after November 1. Most notably, we're replacing our Standard Awards with a new travel award option, Everyday Awards — a dynamic award with pricing that will vary from flight to flight. We published a new Everyday Award chart and the number of miles needed for an Everyday Award will not exceed the published amount. We will continue offering Saver Awards as well as our Excursionist Perk, a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries.
Additionally, we are making no price changes for United Economy® Saver Award travel to, from, or within the 48 contiguous United States. We have also made normal adjustments to Saver Award availability that have resulted in an 11 percentage point increase in flights with United Economy Saver Awards available throughout U.S. and Canadian markets. The increased number of available Saver Awards can be booked today for travel between now and next spring.
What you need to know
- There will be no price changes for United Economy Saver Award travel to, from, or within the 48 contiguous United States.
- We are reducing prices for most short-haul United Economy Saver Awards for regions outside of the U.S., such as flights within Europe. (Short-haul intra-region pricing will only apply if the award is on a single nonstop flight and less than 800 miles).
- Saver Award availability recently has increased by over 11 percentage points.
- Pricing will increase on Saver Award travel for select international markets and on United Business® Saver Awards for U.S. premium transcontinental routes and for select Hawaii routes.
- We will continue to offer MileagePlus Upgrade Awards, available on United flights and for all United MileagePlus members.
- MileagePlus Premier® members and qualifying MileagePlus Chase cardmembers will continue to have unrestricted access to Everyday Awards and expanded Saver Award availability.
- There will be no changes to our close-in fee structure or to the fees that are incurred at reservations offices and fees for changes or redeposit requests made before your departure.
- Implementation of $125 redeposit fee for members who do not show up for their flight and request a redeposit of their miles. This fee will apply to all award bookings made on or after November 1, 2017, and will apply to all members.
- If changes need to be made to your reservation on or after November 1, a ticket reissue and new pricing — including additional miles, a refund of miles, or fees — may apply. (The fare rules for your ticket will stay the same)
Planning ahead and booking early is a great way to take advantage of potential savings that may be available during off-peak travel times. Members can continue to book award travel through united.com, using the United mobile app, at a reservations office (standard charges for using a reservations office may apply) and starting on November 1, a new award calendar will be available making it even easier to search travel at the lowest available price.
For more information on these changes and Everyday Awards, visit mileageplusupdates.com.