From promoting inclusion and inspiring future leaders to helping communities in need and protecting the environment, Every Action Counts is our pledge to put our people and planes to work for the greater good.
Lifting up communities in crisis after disaster
As an airline, we’re able to respond to disasters and crisis needs in unique ways that many others can’t by delivering much-needed relief supplies and volunteers to impacted areas.We support:
- Resiliency efforts that ensure communities are prepared in advance of disaster
- Movement of first responders and critical relief supplies to areas of need
- Long-term recovery efforts to get communities back on their feet after disasters
Airlink is a rapid-response humanitarian relief organization that connects airlines and pre-qualified nonprofits to help communities in crisis.
American Red Cross
The American Red Cross is a humanitarian organization that provides emergency assistance, disaster relief and disaster preparedness education.
Rise Against Hunger
Rise Against Hunger is an international hunger relief organization that distributes food and life-changing aid to the world’s most vulnerable, mobilizing the necessary resources to end hunger by 2030.
Flying toward a more sustainable future
Innovation and sustainability are twin engines that drive our progress in seeking to become the most environmentally conscious airline in the worldWe support:
- Research and development institutions focused on reducing carbon in the atmosphere
- Recycling and redistribution strategies for decommissioned goods
- Programming that provides environmental education and innovation
Building upon a strong foundation of science, partnership and field demonstration, Conservation International empowers societies to responsibly and sustainably care for nature, our global biodiversity, for the well-being of humanity.
Good360 transforms lives by helping socially responsible companies do good by distributing highly needed product donations to people facing challenging life circumstances – all through their global network of vetted nonprofit partners.
United’s Eco-Skies program is our commitment to protecting the environment and ensuring the actions we take help shape a more sustainable future.
Breaking down barriers and promoting inclusion
We strive to create a workplace where acceptance and appreciation of everyone is the norm. We’re invested in inclusivity and treating customers and each other with respect and care.We support:
- Programs designed to fight systemic racism
- Programs that amplify the voices of marginalized people including veterans, the LGBTQ+ community, and people with physical and intellectual disabilities
- Programs that provide small and minority-owned businesses the resources to thrive and compete in the global economy
Special Olympics International
Special Olympics provides year-round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities.
Fisher House Foundation
Fisher House Foundation builds comfort homes where military and veteran families can stay for free when their loved one is being treated at a VA or DOD medical center.
The United Service Organization (USO) strengthens America’s military service members by keeping them connected to family, home and country throughout their service to the nation.
Inspiring the next generation of leaders
We're committed to the success of future generations. By investing in programs that encourage the next generation of leaders in fields like aviation, we're making sure our business and the communities we serve will be successful for years to come.We support:
- Aviation-focused organizations that inspire and provide access for young people from any background to pursue careers in aviation
- Global citizenship organizations that encouraging young people to develop the knowledge, skills and values to engage with the world, making it more a more equal, fair and sustainable place
Air Camp, Inc
Air Camp inspires students, teachers and educational leaders across all grade levels to learn more about science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) through hands-on aviation and aerospace experiences.
Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum
The Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum collects, preserves, and studies the science of aviation, spaceflight and the universe.
Global Glimpse is a nonprofit that provides powerful travel opportunities to U.S. high school students from diverse backgrounds. Students gain greater empathy, agency and global perspective through an international experience focused on service-learning, cultural immersion and leadership development.
Miles on a Mission
Miles on a Mission is United's home for customers to do good with their miles. Donate your miles to our partner charities or unique campaigns created by charities to raise miles for special causes.
For Captain Whitson 'every day is a gift'
United Captain David Whitson is one of thousands who've received a bone marrow donation through Be The Match. Read more about how he gives back to the organization that connected him with a life-saving gift.
Be the light
United Captain Andy King volunteers regularly with Watts of Love, a nonprofit organization, that brings light to the more than 1 billion people worldwide who live without electricity.
Our mission and shared purpose at United is connecting people, uniting the world — something we do every day as we connect people to the moments that matter most.
We have the privilege of connecting our assets — people, planes, profit — to drive meaningful change in the communities we serve. We do this in part by engaging nonprofit organizations who have a shared purpose in delivering against the following focus areas:
- Lifting up communities in crisis after disaster
- Flying toward a more sustainable future
- Breaking down barriers and promoting inclusion
- Inspiring the next generation of leaders
United invites organizations to participate in the application process and requires that all charitable partners meet the minimum requirements of:
- Being a registered 501(c)(3) with the United States Internal Revenue Service with an approval date of no less than 18 months before the date of application.
- For U.S. charities, hold Silver Seal of Transparency status with GuideStar. If you do not have at least a Silver Seal, here are instructions.
Charities will be considered ineligible if they are any of the following:
- Organizations not 501(c)(3) registered based on IRS designations (or the international equivalent)
- Religious organizations and groups with a denominational or sectarian purpose, such as churches and missionary groups
- Organizations that discriminate
- Organizations whose missions focus primarily on diseases or health-related issues
- Service clubs and other organizations that channel funds to agencies
- Government agencies
- Organizations whose purpose or methods of operation pose a potential conflict of interest for the company
- Grants to cover operating deficits
- Sporting events, sports clubs, relays, races, walkathons or tournaments of any kind
By the numbers
time employees spent volunteering in 2019
value of volunteer hours served in 2019*
flown every summer with Global Glimpse
of annual waste kept from landfills with amenity kit recycling
time employees spent volunteering with Special Olympics since 2017
served with Rise Against Hunger since 2017
*$25.43/hr; site reference:https://independentsector.org/news-post/new-value-volunteer-time-2019/
Corporate social responsibility
We’re committed to building a sustainable future and believe that our actions play an important role in ensuring that we operate an environmentally and socially responsible business.
We’re cultivating a diverse supplier portfolio that’s representative of the communities where we live, work and fly.
- United Airlines Employees Are Checking up on Senior Citizens in Quarantine | Travel Pulse
- Amex and United will match your donated points and miles to help coronavirus relief efforts | CNBC
- United flight arrives with thousands of N95 masks for N.J., N.Y. health care workers | NJ.com
- United Airlines donating airline travel to health care workers, cargo space to move supplies | ROI-NJ
Donating food and supplies to the communities we serve
SF Maintenance Base retools to produce hand sanitizer
At-home aviation activites for all age groups
Sending medical volunteers to NYC, New Jersey and California
United Cargo moving more medical supplies and PPE
Working to bring people home – repatriation flights underway
- Donating food and supplies to the communities we serve