Today we announced our newest offering, Basic Economy, which will give customers more options when it comes to their travel needs. Basic Economy will also help to speed up the boarding process so our customers can get to where they need to be on time.
While there are some differences to the Basic Economy fare, customers will enjoy the same United Economy® cabin experience and services, dining options, Wi-Fi and inflight entertainment options. Basic Economy fares will be available for purchase in the first quarter of this year, for travel beginning in Q2.
We will continue to offer a spectrum of products, from Basic Economy to standard economy to Economy Plus®, as well as premium cabin experiences in United First® and
Watch the video below to hear more about Basic Economy from our CEO, Oscar Munoz.
Basic Economy fares include:
- Seat assignments will be given prior to boarding. Passengers will need to acknowledge when making a multi-seat purchase that seating together is not guaranteed.
- Carry-on bags are limited to one personal item, unless the customer is a MileagePlus® Premier® member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance™ Gold member. Passengers with disabilities will be able to carry-on mobility aids and other assistive devices.
- There will be no voluntary ticket changes except as stated in the United 24-hour flexible booking policy.
- MileagePlus program members will earn redeemable award miles; however they will not earn Premier qualifying credit (miles, segments, or dollars), no lifetime miles, and no contribution to four segment minimum.
- Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades.
- Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless a MileagePlus Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance Gold member.
- Basic Economy fares can't be combined with regular economy fares or partner carriers.
What isn't changing with Basic Economy fares:
- Economy seating: Customers with Basic Economy reservations will be seated in the United Economy® cabin, which remains unchanged.
- Checked baggage: Checked baggage policies remain the same as for our regular United Economy fares, and baggage benefits for MileagePlus Premier members, and primary cardmembers of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card and Star Alliance Gold members still apply.
- Inflight options: Onboard food, beverage and entertainment options remain unchanged.
- Award miles: As a MileagePlus program member, customers will still earn redeemable award miles.
For more information on this new offering, please visit our Basic Economy page.
More from popular
Like us on Facebook
for news and info, travel tips,
videos and more.