Sydney and Houston, United
To celebrate United Airlines' new daily nonstop service between Sydney, Australia and Houston, Texas starting January 20th 2018, we are searching for individuals in Australia with the first or last name "Houston" to enter for a chance to win a trip to the city of their namesake - the home of NASA's Mission Control, the world's largest rodeo and true Texan BBQ.
Five Australians, along with a guest of their choice, will experience the trip of a lifetime starting with the inaugural flight from Sydney to Houston, Texas.
In addition to the return flight, each winner from Sydney will receive five nights' accommodation in Houston, Texas and special privileges including a city pass which provides access to top Houston highlights such as the NASA Space Station, Houston Zoo and the Aquarium.To be in with a chance of winning, please let us know:
- In 100 words or less, why you'd like to visit Houston, Texas and travel on the inaugural United Airlines flight from Sydney
- Email: UnitedSydneyHouston@edelman.com by 9:00am AEDT Wednesday, 27 December 2017.
- Your full name, age and full residential address in Australia, as well as your contact email.
1. Information on how to enter the Sydney Houston United Competition (the "Promotion"), all entry instructions, and a description of the prizes that may be won in the Promotion form part of these Terms & Conditions of Entry. Participation in the Promotion constitutes acknowledgement and acceptance of these Terms & Conditions of Entry. Entries not complying with these Terms & Conditions of Entry are ineligible and the Promoter reserves its absolute right to disqualify any Entrant from the Promotion if any entries do not comply with these Terms & Conditions of Entry.
2. Eligible Entrant - means individuals who:
a) Are Australian residents over the age of 18 years; and
b) Are not employees (or immediate family of such employees) of the Promoter, or any of its related corporations or any of the agencies associated with the Promotion (including suppliers of the prize); and
c) Have 'Houston' as their legal first or last name, as shown on their driver's license, passport, birth certificate, or other form of valid government-issued identification; and
d) Enter into this Promotion in accordance with these Terms and Conditions.
Immediate family means any of the following: spouse, ex-spouse, de-facto spouse, child or step-child (including adopted children), parent, step-parent, grandparent, step-grandparent, uncle, aunt, niece, nephew, brother, sister, step-brother, step-sister or first cousin.
3. The Promoter is United Airlines Inc, Level 5 10 Barrack St, Sydney, NSW, 2000 ARBN 86 879 265 547
4. Entry into the Promotion is free.
5. All prices stated are in Australian dollars, represent the recommended retail price ("RRP") and include GST. All references to times and dates are to times and dates in Sydney, which may be Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) or Australian Eastern Daylight Saving Time (AEDST) depending on the date.
6. The Promotion commences and ends as specified in the definition of Promotional Period.
The Promotion will commence at 9:00am AEDT on Friday, 15th December 2017 and end at 9:00am AEDT Wednesday, 27 December 2017 (Promotion Period).
HOW TO ENTER7. To Enter the Promotion, Eligible Entrants must during the Promotion Period:
b) Answer the skill-based question, which asks you to 'describe why you would like to visit Houston, Texas, and travel on the inaugural United Airlines flight from Sydney to Houston' in 100 words or less, in English, and send to SydneyHoustonUnited@edelman.com; and
c) Include your valid email address, legal name, address, city, state, post code, daytime phone number and date of birth.
8. There is a limit of one (1) entry per eligible entrant during the promotional period.
9. No responsibility will be taken by the Promoter for any ineligible, indecipherable, incomplete or lost entries or entries submitted or received by the Promoter after the closing date. Entries that do not comply with these terms and conditions are incomplete, or submitted or received by the Promoter after the closing date will be declared void.
10. The Promoter may, at its absolute discretion, disqualify any Eligible Entrant and declare any or all entries made by an Entrant invalid if Entrant/s:
a) Tamper with the entry process, including use of any automated entry software or any other mechanical or electronic means that permit the Entrant to automatically enter repeatedly; or
b) Tampers with the operation of the Promotion or web site or found to be using multiple aliases, household addresses or email addresses; or
c) Acts in a disruptive manner; or
d) Fails to establish their entitlement to enter the Promotion to the Promoter's reasonable satisfaction; or
e) Fails to produce items as required or produces items that, in the Promoters opinion, are illegible, stolen, forged, reconstructed, altered, incomplete or tampered with in any way; or
f) Deems to be offensive, inappropriate, defamatory or otherwise not in keeping with the spirit of the competition; or
g) Acts in violation of these Conditions of Entry.
Failure by the Promoter to enforce any of its rights at any stage does not constitute a waiver of those rights.
WINNER DETERMINATION AND PRIZE INFORMATION11. Judging for the competition will occur at Edelman Public Relations on behalf of United Airlines, Level 4, 24 York St, Sydney, NSW, 2000 ABN at 12:00pm AEDT on Thursday 28th December (Judging).
12. Judging will be conducted by two (2) or more representatives from Edelman Public Relations on behalf of the Promoter. All Eligible Entries received in the Promotion will be assessed in the judging process, whereby each Eligible Entry will be assessed on the basis of creativity.
13. This is a game of skill, and all entries will be judged based upon their response according to the judging criteria set out in clause 12 above.
14. A total of five (5) prizes are available, with one (1) to be awarded to each winner and a guest of their choosing. One (1) prize includes:
a) Return Economy Plus flights with United Airlines on the inaugural Sydney – Houston flight, departing 20th January 2018, returning to Sydney on 25th January 2018.
b) Five nights' accommodation in a four-star property, to the value of $1000 AUD total.
c) One complimentary Houston City Pass per person, for use during your stay.
The total Prize pool is valued at AU $4,250 (including GST) Prize values are accurate as at 15/12/2017 and The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any change in prize value between now and when the prize is sent to the winner. The winner is not entitled to receive any money from any party if there is a difference between the maximum prize value and the actual prize value at the time of the draw.
15. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any tax implications that may arise from winning of the prizes. Independent financial advice should be sought.
16. Prizes are not transferable or exchangeable and cannot be redeemed for cash.
17. The winners and their guests must be available for travel between the period of 20th January 2018 (outbound SYD - IAH flight), returning 25th January 2018 (inbound IAH to SYD flight).
18. Each Guest (or parent or legal guardian in the event guest is a minor) must sign a Travel Companion form within seven days of winner's receipt of written prize notification. If the guest is a minor, they must be accompanied by their parent or legal guardian
19. Flights are subject to availability and reservations are required. Blackout dates and holiday exclusions may apply. Airline tickets are non-refundable/non-transferable and are not valid for frequent flyer miles. All airline tickets are subject to flight variation, work stoppages, and schedule or route changes. Lost, stolen or damaged airline tickets, travel vouchers or certificates will not be replaced or exchanged. Sponsor shall not be responsible for any flight cancellations, delays or diversions. Prepaid card subject to standard terms and conditions.
20. Prize winner and guest are solely responsible for any costs or expenses associated with prize acceptance and use not specified above as part of prize description, including without limitation, ground transportation, additional air transportation (including any domestic flights to and from Sydney prior to the international flight departure on 20 January 2018 and post arrival back in Sydney on 25 January 2018) and accommodations, meals, tips, gratuities, beverages, sightseeing, souvenirs, excursions, baggage fees, incidentals and personal items, including any taxes associated with travel. No costs, fees or expenses are included as part of the prize unless specifically listed herein. Winner and guest are solely responsible for all required travel documents and/or identification (e.g., a valid government-issued photo ID, valid passport where required, visa, if required). Winner and guest are solely responsible for obtaining any travel insurance (and all other forms of insurance) at their option and hereby acknowledge that Sponsor has not and will not obtain or provide travel insurance or any other form of insurance.
21. The Promoter and its agencies and companies associated with this Promotion will not be liable for any loss (including but not limited to indirect or consequential loss), damage or personal injury which is suffered or sustained (including without limitation to that caused by any person's negligence) relating to the Promotion or the awarding or taking of the prizes except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law (in which case liability is limited to the minimum amount allowable by law).
22. Certain legislation may imply warranties or conditions or impose other obligations including statutory consumer guarantees which cannot be excluded, restricted or modified except to a limit extent. To the extent permitted by law, the Promoter excludes all guarantees, warranties, conditions or other terms that apply under or are implied by statute, common law or trade custom or usage.
23. If in the conduct of this Promotion the Promoter is liable for a breach of any guarantee, warranty, condition or other term that applies under the Australian Consumer Law or is implied by any other commonwealth, state or territory law that cannot be excluded, the promoter's liability under that legislation is limited, to the extent permitted by law, to the cost of replacement of any benefit or prize won.
24. If for any reason this competition is not capable of running as planned, including due to infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud, technical failures or any causes beyond the control of the Promoter, which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or integrity or proper conduct of this promotion, the Promoter reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, take any action that may be available, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the competition, subject to any written direction given by regulatory authorities.
25. Any attempt to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of this Promotion may be a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, whether successful or not, the Promoter reserves the right to seek damages to the fullest extent permitted by law.
NOTIFICATION OF PRIZE WINNER
26. The Judges reserve the right to select additional reserve entries as runner ups and record them in order of merit in case of an invalid entry, ineligible entrant or unclaimed prize.
27. The Prize winners will be notified via email, as provided upon RSVP to competition. Winners will be notified by Thursday, 28 December 2017.
28. The Judges' decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
29. Winners must contact Edelman via email (specified in the congratulations email) with their full name and email address and postage address within 7 days to claim their prize. The prizes will be sent to the winners at the email address or the delivery address specified in this message. Prizes will be delivered within 14 working days of the prize being claimed.
30. If the prize winner does not claim their prize within one week from the date of determination of that winner, their entry will be deemed invalid and the Promoter may award the prize to another winner judged in accordance with clause 20.
31. If the winning entry is invalid, that entry will be discarded and the prize will be awarded to another entry in accordance with clause 20.
32. Entrants understand that they are providing their information to the Promoter. The information entrants provide will only be used by the Promoter for the purpose of conducting this Promotion. Any questions, comments or complaints regarding this promotion must be directed to the Promoter.
33. By participating in this Promotion each participant grants the Promoter a perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide licence to use, reproduce, publish, distribute and disseminate all intellectual property rights in Entries that are capable of being licensed or assigned to the Promoter and consents to the Promoter using, reproducing or editing and adapting any Entry, if the Promoter wishes, in broadcast, electronic and print media, newsletters, in the Promoter merchandising and related marketing activities in whole or in part without attributing that Entry to the person who created it. The Promoter will endeavour to acknowledge and attribute authorship of Entries where possible.
34. By participating in this Promotion, you provide unconditional and irrevocable consent to the Promoter (and its successors, assigns and licensees) to commit any act or omission that would otherwise constitute an infringement of your moral rights. Without limiting the foregoing, you agree that the Promoter may reproduce or publish your Entry without attributing authorship.