Sydney and Houston, United
To celebrate United Airlines' new daily nonstop service between Sydney, Australia and Houston, Texas starting January 20th 2018, we are searching for individuals in Australia with the first or last name "Houston" to enter for a chance to win a trip to the city of their namesake - the home of NASA's Mission Control, the world's largest rodeo and true Texan BBQ.
Five Australians, along with a guest of their choice, will experience the trip of a lifetime starting with the inaugural flight from Sydney to Houston, Texas.
In addition to the return flight, each winner from Sydney will receive five nights' accommodation in Houston, Texas and special privileges including a city pass which provides access to top Houston highlights such as the NASA Space Station, Houston Zoo and the Aquarium.To be in with a chance of winning, please let us know:
- In 100 words or less, why you'd like to visit Houston, Texas and travel on the inaugural United Airlines flight from Sydney
- Email: UnitedSydneyHouston@edelman.com by 9:00am AEDT Wednesday, 27 December 2017.
- Your full name, age and full residential address in Australia, as well as your contact email.
1. Information on how to enter the Sydney Houston United Competition (the "Promotion"), all entry instructions, and a description of the prizes that may be won in the Promotion form part of these Terms & Conditions of Entry. Participation in the Promotion constitutes acknowledgement and acceptance of these Terms & Conditions of Entry. Entries not complying with these Terms & Conditions of Entry are ineligible and the Promoter reserves its absolute right to disqualify any Entrant from the Promotion if any entries do not comply with these Terms & Conditions of Entry.
2. Eligible Entrant - means individuals who:
a) Are Australian residents over the age of 18 years; and
b) Are not employees (or immediate family of such employees) of the Promoter, or any of its related corporations or any of the agencies associated with the Promotion (including suppliers of the prize); and
c) Have 'Houston' as their legal first or last name, as shown on their driver's license, passport, birth certificate, or other form of valid government-issued identification; and
d) Enter into this Promotion in accordance with these Terms and Conditions.
Immediate family means any of the following: spouse, ex-spouse, de-facto spouse, child or step-child (including adopted children), parent, step-parent, grandparent, step-grandparent, uncle, aunt, niece, nephew, brother, sister, step-brother, step-sister or first cousin.
3. The Promoter is United Airlines Inc, Level 5 10 Barrack St, Sydney, NSW, 2000 ARBN 86 879 265 547
4. Entry into the Promotion is free.
5. All prices stated are in Australian dollars, represent the recommended retail price ("RRP") and include GST. All references to times and dates are to times and dates in Sydney, which may be Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) or Australian Eastern Daylight Saving Time (AEDST) depending on the date.
6. The Promotion commences and ends as specified in the definition of Promotional Period.
The Promotion will commence at 9:00am AEDT on Friday, 15th December 2017 and end at 9:00am AEDT Wednesday, 27 December 2017 (Promotion Period).
HOW TO ENTER7. To Enter the Promotion, Eligible Entrants must during the Promotion Period:
b) Answer the skill-based question, which asks you to 'describe why you would like to visit Houston, Texas, and travel on the inaugural United Airlines flight from Sydney to Houston' in 100 words or less, in English, and send to SydneyHoustonUnited@edelman.com; and
c) Include your valid email address, legal name, address, city, state, post code, daytime phone number and date of birth.
8. There is a limit of one (1) entry per eligible entrant during the promotional period.
9. No responsibility will be taken by the Promoter for any ineligible, indecipherable, incomplete or lost entries or entries submitted or received by the Promoter after the closing date. Entries that do not comply with these terms and conditions are incomplete, or submitted or received by the Promoter after the closing date will be declared void.
10. The Promoter may, at its absolute discretion, disqualify any Eligible Entrant and declare any or all entries made by an Entrant invalid if Entrant/s:
a) Tamper with the entry process, including use of any automated entry software or any other mechanical or electronic means that permit the Entrant to automatically enter repeatedly; or
b) Tampers with the operation of the Promotion or web site or found to be using multiple aliases, household addresses or email addresses; or
c) Acts in a disruptive manner; or
d) Fails to establish their entitlement to enter the Promotion to the Promoter's reasonable satisfaction; or
e) Fails to produce items as required or produces items that, in the Promoters opinion, are illegible, stolen, forged, reconstructed, altered, incomplete or tampered with in any way; or
f) Deems to be offensive, inappropriate, defamatory or otherwise not in keeping with the spirit of the competition; or
g) Acts in violation of these Conditions of Entry.
Failure by the Promoter to enforce any of its rights at any stage does not constitute a waiver of those rights.
WINNER DETERMINATION AND PRIZE INFORMATION11. Judging for the competition will occur at Edelman Public Relations on behalf of United Airlines, Level 4, 24 York St, Sydney, NSW, 2000 ABN at 12:00pm AEDT on Thursday 28th December (Judging).
12. Judging will be conducted by two (2) or more representatives from Edelman Public Relations on behalf of the Promoter. All Eligible Entries received in the Promotion will be assessed in the judging process, whereby each Eligible Entry will be assessed on the basis of creativity.
13. This is a game of skill, and all entries will be judged based upon their response according to the judging criteria set out in clause 12 above.
14. A total of five (5) prizes are available, with one (1) to be awarded to each winner and a guest of their choosing. One (1) prize includes:
a) Return Economy Plus flights with United Airlines on the inaugural Sydney – Houston flight, departing 20th January 2018, returning to Sydney on 25th January 2018.
b) Five nights' accommodation in a four-star property, to the value of $1000 AUD total.
c) One complimentary Houston City Pass per person, for use during your stay.
The total Prize pool is valued at AU $4,250 (including GST) Prize values are accurate as at 15/12/2017 and The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any change in prize value between now and when the prize is sent to the winner. The winner is not entitled to receive any money from any party if there is a difference between the maximum prize value and the actual prize value at the time of the draw.
15. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any tax implications that may arise from winning of the prizes. Independent financial advice should be sought.
16. Prizes are not transferable or exchangeable and cannot be redeemed for cash.
17. The winners and their guests must be available for travel between the period of 20th January 2018 (outbound SYD - IAH flight), returning 25th January 2018 (inbound IAH to SYD flight).
18. Each Guest (or parent or legal guardian in the event guest is a minor) must sign a Travel Companion form within seven days of winner's receipt of written prize notification. If the guest is a minor, they must be accompanied by their parent or legal guardian
19. Flights are subject to availability and reservations are required. Blackout dates and holiday exclusions may apply. Airline tickets are non-refundable/non-transferable and are not valid for frequent flyer miles. All airline tickets are subject to flight variation, work stoppages, and schedule or route changes. Lost, stolen or damaged airline tickets, travel vouchers or certificates will not be replaced or exchanged. Sponsor shall not be responsible for any flight cancellations, delays or diversions. Prepaid card subject to standard terms and conditions.
20. Prize winner and guest are solely responsible for any costs or expenses associated with prize acceptance and use not specified above as part of prize description, including without limitation, ground transportation, additional air transportation (including any domestic flights to and from Sydney prior to the international flight departure on 20 January 2018 and post arrival back in Sydney on 25 January 2018) and accommodations, meals, tips, gratuities, beverages, sightseeing, souvenirs, excursions, baggage fees, incidentals and personal items, including any taxes associated with travel. No costs, fees or expenses are included as part of the prize unless specifically listed herein. Winner and guest are solely responsible for all required travel documents and/or identification (e.g., a valid government-issued photo ID, valid passport where required, visa, if required). Winner and guest are solely responsible for obtaining any travel insurance (and all other forms of insurance) at their option and hereby acknowledge that Sponsor has not and will not obtain or provide travel insurance or any other form of insurance.
21. The Promoter and its agencies and companies associated with this Promotion will not be liable for any loss (including but not limited to indirect or consequential loss), damage or personal injury which is suffered or sustained (including without limitation to that caused by any person's negligence) relating to the Promotion or the awarding or taking of the prizes except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law (in which case liability is limited to the minimum amount allowable by law).
22. Certain legislation may imply warranties or conditions or impose other obligations including statutory consumer guarantees which cannot be excluded, restricted or modified except to a limit extent. To the extent permitted by law, the Promoter excludes all guarantees, warranties, conditions or other terms that apply under or are implied by statute, common law or trade custom or usage.
23. If in the conduct of this Promotion the Promoter is liable for a breach of any guarantee, warranty, condition or other term that applies under the Australian Consumer Law or is implied by any other commonwealth, state or territory law that cannot be excluded, the promoter's liability under that legislation is limited, to the extent permitted by law, to the cost of replacement of any benefit or prize won.
24. If for any reason this competition is not capable of running as planned, including due to infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud, technical failures or any causes beyond the control of the Promoter, which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or integrity or proper conduct of this promotion, the Promoter reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, take any action that may be available, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the competition, subject to any written direction given by regulatory authorities.
25. Any attempt to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of this Promotion may be a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, whether successful or not, the Promoter reserves the right to seek damages to the fullest extent permitted by law.
NOTIFICATION OF PRIZE WINNER
26. The Judges reserve the right to select additional reserve entries as runner ups and record them in order of merit in case of an invalid entry, ineligible entrant or unclaimed prize.
27. The Prize winners will be notified via email, as provided upon RSVP to competition. Winners will be notified by Thursday, 28 December 2017.
28. The Judges' decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
29. Winners must contact Edelman via email (specified in the congratulations email) with their full name and email address and postage address within 7 days to claim their prize. The prizes will be sent to the winners at the email address or the delivery address specified in this message. Prizes will be delivered within 14 working days of the prize being claimed.
30. If the prize winner does not claim their prize within one week from the date of determination of that winner, their entry will be deemed invalid and the Promoter may award the prize to another winner judged in accordance with clause 20.
31. If the winning entry is invalid, that entry will be discarded and the prize will be awarded to another entry in accordance with clause 20.
32. Entrants understand that they are providing their information to the Promoter. The information entrants provide will only be used by the Promoter for the purpose of conducting this Promotion. Any questions, comments or complaints regarding this promotion must be directed to the Promoter.
33. By participating in this Promotion each participant grants the Promoter a perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide licence to use, reproduce, publish, distribute and disseminate all intellectual property rights in Entries that are capable of being licensed or assigned to the Promoter and consents to the Promoter using, reproducing or editing and adapting any Entry, if the Promoter wishes, in broadcast, electronic and print media, newsletters, in the Promoter merchandising and related marketing activities in whole or in part without attributing that Entry to the person who created it. The Promoter will endeavour to acknowledge and attribute authorship of Entries where possible.
34. By participating in this Promotion, you provide unconditional and irrevocable consent to the Promoter (and its successors, assigns and licensees) to commit any act or omission that would otherwise constitute an infringement of your moral rights. Without limiting the foregoing, you agree that the Promoter may reproduce or publish your Entry without attributing authorship.
As a member in the tourism, travel and transportation industries, United offers a unique perspective into the economic and operational effects rippling across the U.S. To advocate United's efforts, and in anticipation of a bright future, New York/New Jersey President Jill Kaplan and California President Janet Lamkin have both been named to their states' respective governor's COVID-19 response task force committees.
Appointed by New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy, Jill joins the New Jersey Restart and Recovery Advisory Council — a group of business and municipal leaders tasked with planning to restart the state's economy.
"Serving on Governor Murphy's Restart & Advisory Council uniquely positions us in the epicenter of helping to restart state's economy by providing innovative ideas, sharing best practices and creative thinking to help ensure the rebuilding of New Jersey's economic vitality alongside notable business leaders," said Jill. "I'm honored to represent United Airlines and the transportation industry as a core building block to expediting the state's recovery."
United is the sixth largest company in the state and one of the largest essential businesses continuing to operate through this crisis, and as or advocate, Jill will share some of our best practices and lessons we're learning with the nine different committees through the customer and employee lens.
On the opposite coast, California Governor Gavin Newsom last month appointed Janet to his Task Force on Business and Jobs Recovery. Joining Janet at the table are former California governors, legislative leaders and CEOs and executives from numerous businesses with large stakes in the state, such as Apple and Disney. In addition to Janet's position on the task force, Janet is also serving on the Long-Term Jobs Recovery sub-committee and will advocate for industries suffering long-term ramifications of COVID-19 such as tourism, travel and entertainment.
"Being appointed to Governor Newsom's Task Force on Business and Jobs Recovery ensures that United is part of the important conversation and part of the plan to help California pave the way toward a fast, safe recovery of jobs," said Janet. "It is an honor to represent the only transportation business on the task force, and I look forward to working alongside a group of very distinguished leaders and focusing on innovative ways to rebuild the economy for our 40 million residents. This work will build on our partnership with the Governor to provide free flights for medical volunteers and having our employees call to check in on isolated older adults as part of the Social Bridging Project."
Pre-COVID, we transported 38 million passengers to, from and within California each year, and directly and indirectly supported tens of thousands of jobs, so the health and well-being of the industry is vital to the prosperity of the state.
As the only airline represented among each of these groups, Jill and Janet are working hard to ensure that our voices, as a company and industry, are heard, valued and utilized as a new chapter dawns on the horizon.
Hello. I'm Scott Kirby, the new CEO of United Airlines. I'm a proud Air Force Academy graduate and have spent my entire career in and around aviation, including the last four years as President of United.
While I had planned for my first communication with you to be about the meaningful investments we were making to the travel experience and our continued growth across the U.S. and expansion to exciting new destinations around the world, today, the situation rendered to us by the COVID-19 pandemic leads me to a different type of message.
First, I graciously and humbly thank you for your business. Now, more than ever, our customers' loyalty is so deeply appreciated by every member of the United family.
As essential workers, the men and women of our airline have been hard at work over the past two months to transport vital medical supplies and critical goods to places that need them most, to provide free travel to healthcare professionals and to help thousands of individuals repatriate to their home countries.
Safety has always been our top priority, and right now in the midst of an unprecedented crisis, it's our singular customer focus. We recognize that COVID-19 has brought cleanliness and hygiene standards to the front of your mind when making travel decisions. We're not leaving a single stone unturned in our pursuit to protect our customers and employees.
We are installing plexiglass in lobby and gate areas, we're using the same equipment used to clean hospitals to disinfect the interiors of our aircraft, all crew and customers on board are required to wear face mask coverings and we're taking the temperature of our employees before they start work.
But at United, we're not stopping there. We're teaming up with experts from Clorox and the Cleveland Clinic to set a new standard for cleanliness and healthy flying that we are calling United CleanPlus℠.
Clorox is working closely with us to improve how we disinfect common surfaces and provide our customers with amenities that support a healthy and safe environment.
Physicians and scientists at the Cleveland Clinic, will advise us on new technologies and approaches, assist in training development and create a rigorous quality assurance program. And, as scientists learn more about how to fight COVID-19, Cleveland Clinic experts will help us use those discoveries to quickly implement new ways to keep our customers safe.
While we may not know when this pandemic will subside, what we do know is that travel is so deeply woven into the fabric of our global culture. We all desire to visit family, dance at a friend's wedding, hug parents…and see the wonders of this beautiful world. No matter how sharp the picture quality – or how strong the WiFi signal – there's simply no substitute for being there – in person – to collaborate, celebrate, explore. We are confident that travel will return. And when it does, United Airlines will be ready to serve you again in the friendly skies.
Thank you. Be well. And I look forward to seeing you on board.
At the airport
1Implementing temperature checks for employees and flight attendants working at hub airports
2Installing sneeze guards at check-in and gate podiums
3Encouraging use of the United app for contactless travel assistance and more
4Promoting social distancing with floor decals to help customers stand 6 feet apart
5Introducing touchless check-in for customers with bags
At the gate:
6Disinfecting high-touch areas such as door handles, handrails, elevator buttons, telephones and computers
7Providing hand sanitizer and
8Allowing customers to self-scan boarding passes
9Boarding fewer customers at a time and, after pre-boarding, boarding from the back of the plane to the front to promote social distancing
On our aircraft
1Providing individual hand sanitizer wipes for customers
2Requiring all customers and employees to wear a face covering and providing disposable face coverings for customers who need them
3Temporarily removing onboard items like pillows, blankets and inflight magazines
4Disinfecting high-touch areas, like tray tables and armrests, before boarding
5Reducing contact between flight attendants and customers during snack and beverage service
6Ensuring aircraft cleaning standards meet or exceed CDC guidelines
7Applying social distancing to seating procedures when possible, including:
- Limiting middle seat selection
- Moving customers seated closely together
- De-planing in groups of five rows at a time to reduce crowding
8Using electrostatic spraying to disinfect aircraft, to be completed on all flights by mid-June
9Using state-of-the-art, hospital-grade, high-efficiency (HEPA) filters to circulate air and remove up to 99.7% of airborne particles
We're working closely with the experts at Cleveland Clinic to advise us on enhancing our cleaning and disinfection protocols for the safety of our employees and customers. Visit Cleveland Clinic's website to learn more about COVID-19.
Together, we are facing an unprecedented challenge. United Together, we rise to meet that challenge.
Calling all AvGeeks and travelers! Here's a fun way to take your next video call….from a United Polaris® seat, the cockpit or cruising altitude. We're introducing United-themed backgrounds for use on Zoom and Microsoft Teams, video conferencing tools that many people are using to stay connected.
So for your next meeting or catch up with friends and family, download the app to either your computer or mobile device to get started. If you've already downloaded Zoom you can skip ahead to updating your background image (see instructions below).
To use on Zoom:
- Start here by downloading your favorite United image to your computer or mobile device. Just click "download" in the bottom left corner of the image.
- Next go to your Zoom app (you'll need to download the app to access backgrounds) and click on the arrow to the right of your video camera icon in the bottom of the screen.
- From here select, "choose virtual background" to upload your uniquely United photo.
- Start by downloading your favorite United image to your computer. Just click "download" in the bottom left corner of the image.
- If you're using a PC, copy the image you want to use into this folder:
- C:\[insert your device user name here]\AppData\Microsoft\Teams\Backgrounds\Uploads
- If you're using a Mac copy the images to this folder on your computer:
- /users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Teams/Backgrounds/Uploads
- If you're using a PC, copy the image you want to use into this folder:
- Once you start a Teams meeting, click the "…" in the menu bar and select "Show background effects" and your image should be there
Watch our most popular videos
This is why we fly.
20 UCSF Health workers, who voluntarily set aside their own lives to help save lives, are on their way to New York City.
We are humbled by your selfless sacrifice.
In celebration and appreciation of all first responders and essential workers. 👏🏻👏🏼👏🏽👏🏾👏🏿
This is the story of Jason and Shantel. You see, Jason and Shantel love each other very much. They also love traveling and they love the classic Adam Sandler film, The Wedding Singer.
It all began when Jason reached out to United's social media team, hoping for assistance with his upcoming plan to propose. Some phone calls and one borrowed guitar later, the stage was set for Jason. Put all that together, mix in some helpful United employees and, voila, you have a truly memorable marriage proposal. Congratulations to this fun-loving and happy couple, and here's to many more years of making beautiful music together.
A big thank you to Chicago-based flight attendants Donna W., Marie M., Karen J. and Mark K. for making this proposal come to life.