Sydney and Houston, United
To celebrate United Airlines' new daily nonstop service between Sydney, Australia and Houston, Texas starting January 20th 2018, we are searching for individuals in Australia with the first or last name "Houston" to enter for a chance to win a trip to the city of their namesake - the home of NASA's Mission Control, the world's largest rodeo and true Texan BBQ.
Five Australians, along with a guest of their choice, will experience the trip of a lifetime starting with the inaugural flight from Sydney to Houston, Texas.
In addition to the return flight, each winner from Sydney will receive five nights' accommodation in Houston, Texas and special privileges including a city pass which provides access to top Houston highlights such as the NASA Space Station, Houston Zoo and the Aquarium.To be in with a chance of winning, please let us know:
- In 100 words or less, why you'd like to visit Houston, Texas and travel on the inaugural United Airlines flight from Sydney
- Email: UnitedSydneyHouston@edelman.com by 9:00am AEDT Wednesday, 27 December 2017.
- Your full name, age and full residential address in Australia, as well as your contact email.
1. Information on how to enter the Sydney Houston United Competition (the "Promotion"), all entry instructions, and a description of the prizes that may be won in the Promotion form part of these Terms & Conditions of Entry. Participation in the Promotion constitutes acknowledgement and acceptance of these Terms & Conditions of Entry. Entries not complying with these Terms & Conditions of Entry are ineligible and the Promoter reserves its absolute right to disqualify any Entrant from the Promotion if any entries do not comply with these Terms & Conditions of Entry.
2. Eligible Entrant - means individuals who:
a) Are Australian residents over the age of 18 years; and
b) Are not employees (or immediate family of such employees) of the Promoter, or any of its related corporations or any of the agencies associated with the Promotion (including suppliers of the prize); and
c) Have 'Houston' as their legal first or last name, as shown on their driver's license, passport, birth certificate, or other form of valid government-issued identification; and
d) Enter into this Promotion in accordance with these Terms and Conditions.
Immediate family means any of the following: spouse, ex-spouse, de-facto spouse, child or step-child (including adopted children), parent, step-parent, grandparent, step-grandparent, uncle, aunt, niece, nephew, brother, sister, step-brother, step-sister or first cousin.
3. The Promoter is United Airlines Inc, Level 5 10 Barrack St, Sydney, NSW, 2000 ARBN 86 879 265 547
4. Entry into the Promotion is free.
5. All prices stated are in Australian dollars, represent the recommended retail price ("RRP") and include GST. All references to times and dates are to times and dates in Sydney, which may be Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) or Australian Eastern Daylight Saving Time (AEDST) depending on the date.
6. The Promotion commences and ends as specified in the definition of Promotional Period.
The Promotion will commence at 9:00am AEDT on Friday, 15th December 2017 and end at 9:00am AEDT Wednesday, 27 December 2017 (Promotion Period).
HOW TO ENTER7. To Enter the Promotion, Eligible Entrants must during the Promotion Period:
b) Answer the skill-based question, which asks you to 'describe why you would like to visit Houston, Texas, and travel on the inaugural United Airlines flight from Sydney to Houston' in 100 words or less, in English, and send to SydneyHoustonUnited@edelman.com; and
c) Include your valid email address, legal name, address, city, state, post code, daytime phone number and date of birth.
8. There is a limit of one (1) entry per eligible entrant during the promotional period.
9. No responsibility will be taken by the Promoter for any ineligible, indecipherable, incomplete or lost entries or entries submitted or received by the Promoter after the closing date. Entries that do not comply with these terms and conditions are incomplete, or submitted or received by the Promoter after the closing date will be declared void.
10. The Promoter may, at its absolute discretion, disqualify any Eligible Entrant and declare any or all entries made by an Entrant invalid if Entrant/s:
a) Tamper with the entry process, including use of any automated entry software or any other mechanical or electronic means that permit the Entrant to automatically enter repeatedly; or
b) Tampers with the operation of the Promotion or web site or found to be using multiple aliases, household addresses or email addresses; or
c) Acts in a disruptive manner; or
d) Fails to establish their entitlement to enter the Promotion to the Promoter's reasonable satisfaction; or
e) Fails to produce items as required or produces items that, in the Promoters opinion, are illegible, stolen, forged, reconstructed, altered, incomplete or tampered with in any way; or
f) Deems to be offensive, inappropriate, defamatory or otherwise not in keeping with the spirit of the competition; or
g) Acts in violation of these Conditions of Entry.
Failure by the Promoter to enforce any of its rights at any stage does not constitute a waiver of those rights.
WINNER DETERMINATION AND PRIZE INFORMATION11. Judging for the competition will occur at Edelman Public Relations on behalf of United Airlines, Level 4, 24 York St, Sydney, NSW, 2000 ABN at 12:00pm AEDT on Thursday 28th December (Judging).
12. Judging will be conducted by two (2) or more representatives from Edelman Public Relations on behalf of the Promoter. All Eligible Entries received in the Promotion will be assessed in the judging process, whereby each Eligible Entry will be assessed on the basis of creativity.
13. This is a game of skill, and all entries will be judged based upon their response according to the judging criteria set out in clause 12 above.
14. A total of five (5) prizes are available, with one (1) to be awarded to each winner and a guest of their choosing. One (1) prize includes:
a) Return Economy Plus flights with United Airlines on the inaugural Sydney – Houston flight, departing 20th January 2018, returning to Sydney on 25th January 2018.
b) Five nights' accommodation in a four-star property, to the value of $1000 AUD total.
c) One complimentary Houston City Pass per person, for use during your stay.
The total Prize pool is valued at AU $4,250 (including GST) Prize values are accurate as at 15/12/2017 and The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any change in prize value between now and when the prize is sent to the winner. The winner is not entitled to receive any money from any party if there is a difference between the maximum prize value and the actual prize value at the time of the draw.
15. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any tax implications that may arise from winning of the prizes. Independent financial advice should be sought.
16. Prizes are not transferable or exchangeable and cannot be redeemed for cash.
17. The winners and their guests must be available for travel between the period of 20th January 2018 (outbound SYD - IAH flight), returning 25th January 2018 (inbound IAH to SYD flight).
18. Each Guest (or parent or legal guardian in the event guest is a minor) must sign a Travel Companion form within seven days of winner's receipt of written prize notification. If the guest is a minor, they must be accompanied by their parent or legal guardian
19. Flights are subject to availability and reservations are required. Blackout dates and holiday exclusions may apply. Airline tickets are non-refundable/non-transferable and are not valid for frequent flyer miles. All airline tickets are subject to flight variation, work stoppages, and schedule or route changes. Lost, stolen or damaged airline tickets, travel vouchers or certificates will not be replaced or exchanged. Sponsor shall not be responsible for any flight cancellations, delays or diversions. Prepaid card subject to standard terms and conditions.
20. Prize winner and guest are solely responsible for any costs or expenses associated with prize acceptance and use not specified above as part of prize description, including without limitation, ground transportation, additional air transportation (including any domestic flights to and from Sydney prior to the international flight departure on 20 January 2018 and post arrival back in Sydney on 25 January 2018) and accommodations, meals, tips, gratuities, beverages, sightseeing, souvenirs, excursions, baggage fees, incidentals and personal items, including any taxes associated with travel. No costs, fees or expenses are included as part of the prize unless specifically listed herein. Winner and guest are solely responsible for all required travel documents and/or identification (e.g., a valid government-issued photo ID, valid passport where required, visa, if required). Winner and guest are solely responsible for obtaining any travel insurance (and all other forms of insurance) at their option and hereby acknowledge that Sponsor has not and will not obtain or provide travel insurance or any other form of insurance.
21. The Promoter and its agencies and companies associated with this Promotion will not be liable for any loss (including but not limited to indirect or consequential loss), damage or personal injury which is suffered or sustained (including without limitation to that caused by any person's negligence) relating to the Promotion or the awarding or taking of the prizes except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law (in which case liability is limited to the minimum amount allowable by law).
22. Certain legislation may imply warranties or conditions or impose other obligations including statutory consumer guarantees which cannot be excluded, restricted or modified except to a limit extent. To the extent permitted by law, the Promoter excludes all guarantees, warranties, conditions or other terms that apply under or are implied by statute, common law or trade custom or usage.
23. If in the conduct of this Promotion the Promoter is liable for a breach of any guarantee, warranty, condition or other term that applies under the Australian Consumer Law or is implied by any other commonwealth, state or territory law that cannot be excluded, the promoter's liability under that legislation is limited, to the extent permitted by law, to the cost of replacement of any benefit or prize won.
24. If for any reason this competition is not capable of running as planned, including due to infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud, technical failures or any causes beyond the control of the Promoter, which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or integrity or proper conduct of this promotion, the Promoter reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, take any action that may be available, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the competition, subject to any written direction given by regulatory authorities.
25. Any attempt to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of this Promotion may be a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, whether successful or not, the Promoter reserves the right to seek damages to the fullest extent permitted by law.
NOTIFICATION OF PRIZE WINNER
26. The Judges reserve the right to select additional reserve entries as runner ups and record them in order of merit in case of an invalid entry, ineligible entrant or unclaimed prize.
27. The Prize winners will be notified via email, as provided upon RSVP to competition. Winners will be notified by Thursday, 28 December 2017.
28. The Judges' decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
29. Winners must contact Edelman via email (specified in the congratulations email) with their full name and email address and postage address within 7 days to claim their prize. The prizes will be sent to the winners at the email address or the delivery address specified in this message. Prizes will be delivered within 14 working days of the prize being claimed.
30. If the prize winner does not claim their prize within one week from the date of determination of that winner, their entry will be deemed invalid and the Promoter may award the prize to another winner judged in accordance with clause 20.
31. If the winning entry is invalid, that entry will be discarded and the prize will be awarded to another entry in accordance with clause 20.
32. Entrants understand that they are providing their information to the Promoter. The information entrants provide will only be used by the Promoter for the purpose of conducting this Promotion. Any questions, comments or complaints regarding this promotion must be directed to the Promoter.
33. By participating in this Promotion each participant grants the Promoter a perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide licence to use, reproduce, publish, distribute and disseminate all intellectual property rights in Entries that are capable of being licensed or assigned to the Promoter and consents to the Promoter using, reproducing or editing and adapting any Entry, if the Promoter wishes, in broadcast, electronic and print media, newsletters, in the Promoter merchandising and related marketing activities in whole or in part without attributing that Entry to the person who created it. The Promoter will endeavour to acknowledge and attribute authorship of Entries where possible.
34. By participating in this Promotion, you provide unconditional and irrevocable consent to the Promoter (and its successors, assigns and licensees) to commit any act or omission that would otherwise constitute an infringement of your moral rights. Without limiting the foregoing, you agree that the Promoter may reproduce or publish your Entry without attributing authorship.
On March 19, 2020, United operated its first flight carrying cargo without passengers on board. While the passenger cabin was empty, its cargo hold was completely full, carrying more than 29,000 pounds of commodities from Chicago O'Hare International Airport (ORD) to Frankfurt Airport (FRA).
A year later, United Cargo has operated more than 11,000 cargo-only flights carrying more than 570 million pounds of freight. To support the COVID-19 pandemic recovery efforts, United Cargo has also transported more than 113 million pounds of medical and pharmaceutical products on both cargo-only and passenger flights as well as approximately 10 million COVID-19 vaccines, providing global communities access to the items they have needed most.
"At the beginning of the pandemic, we knew we were uniquely positioned to utilize our widebody aircraft and our network to keep commodities moving, so we quickly mobilized various departments throughout the airline to launch a cargo-only network of flights that would keep commodities moving," said United Cargo President Jan Krems. "Thanks to those efforts, United Cargo has delivered millions of items to countries all around the world. We would not have been successful without the steadfast support of our employees, industry partners and our customers."
Since last March, United Cargo has transported almost 850 million pounds of freight on cargo-only and passenger flights. The airline will continue to monitor market trends adjust its cargo-only flight schedules to help ensure we are meeting our customer's evolving shipping needs.
Whether you haven't flown with us for a while or just need a quick refresher before your spring trip, read this list of tips to know before your flight and arrive at the airport travel-ready:
1. Download the United app for contactless bag check, travel assistance and more
Before your flight, download the United app to view your flight status, check in, sign up for flight notifications, locate departure gates, access our free personal device entertainment when available and more. We've also updated our app with new features that can make your trip a little safer, including contactless bag check.
Don't forget to use Agent on Demand for help with any and all questions you may have before your flight. This new capability is available at all our U.S. hub airports and allows you to use your own mobile device to contact a customer service agent via phone, video or chat to help with day-of-travel questions while you're at the airport. Learn more about Agent on Demand here.
2. Check out the Travel-Ready Center
Our Travel-Ready Center makes it easy to get a personalized overview of everything you need to do in preparation for your flight. Just enter your confirmation number or MileagePlus® number and you'll find detailed information on all the documents, tests and more that you'll need for your trip.
3. Read and sign the Ready-to-Fly checklist
Before completing check-in, all United travelers will need to read our Ready-to-Fly checklist and confirm that they understand and agree to our policies. These include:
Acknowledging that you haven't had any symptoms of COVID-19 in the last 14 days
Agreeing that you will not fly if you have tested positive for COVID-19 within the last 21 days
Confirming that you will follow all policies regarding face masks, social distancing and other health and safety measures we've adopted
4. Arrive early; avoid the stress
Airports can be busy, especially during peak travel periods like spring break season. The TSA advises arriving at the airport two hours before your flight for domestic travel and three hours for international travel in anticipation of long security lines. This can help ease the stress when navigating busy check-in areas, security lines and crowded boarding gates.
5. Get familiar with CleanPlus
United CleanPlus℠ is our commitment to delivering industry-leading cleanliness as we put health and safety at the forefront of your experience. We've teamed up with Clorox to redefine our cleaning and disinfection procedures and Cleveland Clinic to advise us on enhancing our cleaning and disinfection protocols, like:
Disinfecting high-touch areas on board and in the terminal
Using electrostatic spraying, Ultraviolet C lighting wands and more advanced measures to clean aircraft cabins before boarding
Redesigning our mobile app to allow for touchless check-in and contactless payment, along with enhanced travel assistance features
Implementing high-efficiency (HEPA) filters on our aircraft that completely recirculate cabin air every 2-3 minutes and remove 99.97% of airborne particles, including viruses and bacteria
Studies show COVID-19 exposure risk is minimal when air filtration systems and masks are in use, so you can rest assured that the steps we've taken to keep you safe truly make a difference.
6. Wear your mask
Federal law requires all travelers to wear a face mask in the airport, including customer service counters, airport lounges, gates and baggage claim, and on board during their entire flight. Make sure you review the requirements for face masks, including what an acceptable face mask looks like.
7. Get ready for a safer boarding process
To make boarding even safer, we now have travelers board their aircraft from back to front. At the gate, just listen for your row number to be called – we'll ask a few rows at a time to board, starting with the last row of the plane. This helps everyone maintain a safe distance from each other during boarding without slowing things down. As you step onto the plane, flight attendants will hand each passenger a sanitizing towelette, which you can use to wipe down your seat to ensure it's extra clean.
8. Pack smart
Before packing your bags, check to see what exactly you can carry on and what you should plan to check. You can also copy your confirmation number into our Baggage Calculator tool to learn about the bag allowance included with your reservation, as well as the cost of checking any additional bags.
9. Check your flight status, important notices and weather
Check the United app regularly for the latest updates on weather conditions, flight status, gate numbers and seat assignments. You can also visit our Important Notices page to find essential information and updates about travel waivers, international travel, TSA and security, airports and United Club locations.
10. Relax and enjoy your flight
Once you're on board, it's time to sit back and enjoy your flight. Our flight attendants will be happy to help you with anything else you need.
This week, we were honored to become the first U.S. airline to join the UNICEF Humanitarian Airfreight Initiative to combat the COVID-19 pandemic by transporting the vaccine and other critically needed supplies to underserved areas of the globe.
"We are committed to helping the global community in any way we can, and we all must work together to do our part to bring this health and humanitarian crisis to an end," said Director of Cargo Specialty Products Manu Jacobs.
We will leverage our expertise to transport these critical pharmaceutical and healthcare shipments around the world safely, efficiently and expediently. We are proud to partner with the United Nations to support this global effort and provide equitable access to COVID-19 vaccines.
Together, we are facing an unprecedented challenge. United Together, we rise to meet that challenge.
Calling all AvGeeks and travelers! Take your next video call from a United Polaris® seat, the cockpit or cruising altitude with United-themed backgrounds for use on Zoom and Microsoft Teams.
Newly added to our collection is a background encouraging our employees and customers to vote. Our mission is to connect people and unite the world — and one of the most important ways to do that is to engage in the democratic process. No matter which party you support, we know our democracy will be stronger if you make your voice heard and vote.
So for your next meeting or catch up with friends and family, download the app to either your computer or mobile device to get started.
To use on Zoom:
- Start here by downloading your favorite United image to your computer or mobile device. Just click "download" in the bottom left corner of the image.
- Next go to your Zoom app (you'll need to download the app to access backgrounds) and click on the arrow to the right of your video camera icon in the bottom of the screen.
- From here select, "choose virtual background" to upload your uniquely United photo.
To use on Microsoft Teams:
- Start by downloading your favorite United image to your computer. Just click "download" in the bottom left corner of the image.
- If you're using a PC, copy the image you want to use into this folder:
- C:\[insert your device user name here]\AppData\Microsoft\Teams\Backgrounds\Uploads
- If you're using a Mac copy the images to this folder on your computer:
- /users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Teams/Backgrounds/Uploads
- If you're using a PC, copy the image you want to use into this folder:
- Once you start a Teams meeting, click the "…" in the menu bar and select "Show background effects" and your image should be there
Watch our most popular videos
This is why we fly.
20 UCSF Health workers, who voluntarily set aside their own lives to help save lives, are on their way to New York City.
We are humbled by your selfless sacrifice.
In celebration and appreciation of all first responders and essential workers. 👏🏻👏🏼👏🏽👏🏾👏🏿
This is the story of Jason and Shantel. You see, Jason and Shantel love each other very much. They also love traveling and they love the classic Adam Sandler film, The Wedding Singer.
It all began when Jason reached out to United's social media team, hoping for assistance with his upcoming plan to propose. Some phone calls and one borrowed guitar later, the stage was set for Jason. Put all that together, mix in some helpful United employees and, voila, you have a truly memorable marriage proposal. Congratulations to this fun-loving and happy couple, and here's to many more years of making beautiful music together.
A big thank you to Chicago-based flight attendants Donna W., Marie M., Karen J. and Mark K. for making this proposal come to life.