Sydney and Houston, United
To celebrate United Airlines' new daily nonstop service between Sydney, Australia and Houston, Texas starting January 20th 2018, we are searching for individuals in Australia with the first or last name "Houston" to enter for a chance to win a trip to the city of their namesake - the home of NASA's Mission Control, the world's largest rodeo and true Texan BBQ.
Five Australians, along with a guest of their choice, will experience the trip of a lifetime starting with the inaugural flight from Sydney to Houston, Texas.
In addition to the return flight, each winner from Sydney will receive five nights' accommodation in Houston, Texas and special privileges including a city pass which provides access to top Houston highlights such as the NASA Space Station, Houston Zoo and the Aquarium.To be in with a chance of winning, please let us know:
- In 100 words or less, why you'd like to visit Houston, Texas and travel on the inaugural United Airlines flight from Sydney
- Email: UnitedSydneyHouston@edelman.com by 9:00am AEDT Wednesday, 27 December 2017.
- Your full name, age and full residential address in Australia, as well as your contact email.
1. Information on how to enter the Sydney Houston United Competition (the "Promotion"), all entry instructions, and a description of the prizes that may be won in the Promotion form part of these Terms & Conditions of Entry. Participation in the Promotion constitutes acknowledgement and acceptance of these Terms & Conditions of Entry. Entries not complying with these Terms & Conditions of Entry are ineligible and the Promoter reserves its absolute right to disqualify any Entrant from the Promotion if any entries do not comply with these Terms & Conditions of Entry.
2. Eligible Entrant - means individuals who:
a) Are Australian residents over the age of 18 years; and
b) Are not employees (or immediate family of such employees) of the Promoter, or any of its related corporations or any of the agencies associated with the Promotion (including suppliers of the prize); and
c) Have 'Houston' as their legal first or last name, as shown on their driver's license, passport, birth certificate, or other form of valid government-issued identification; and
d) Enter into this Promotion in accordance with these Terms and Conditions.
Immediate family means any of the following: spouse, ex-spouse, de-facto spouse, child or step-child (including adopted children), parent, step-parent, grandparent, step-grandparent, uncle, aunt, niece, nephew, brother, sister, step-brother, step-sister or first cousin.
3. The Promoter is United Airlines Inc, Level 5 10 Barrack St, Sydney, NSW, 2000 ARBN 86 879 265 547
4. Entry into the Promotion is free.
5. All prices stated are in Australian dollars, represent the recommended retail price ("RRP") and include GST. All references to times and dates are to times and dates in Sydney, which may be Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) or Australian Eastern Daylight Saving Time (AEDST) depending on the date.
6. The Promotion commences and ends as specified in the definition of Promotional Period.
The Promotion will commence at 9:00am AEDT on Friday, 15th December 2017 and end at 9:00am AEDT Wednesday, 27 December 2017 (Promotion Period).
HOW TO ENTER7. To Enter the Promotion, Eligible Entrants must during the Promotion Period:
b) Answer the skill-based question, which asks you to 'describe why you would like to visit Houston, Texas, and travel on the inaugural United Airlines flight from Sydney to Houston' in 100 words or less, in English, and send to SydneyHoustonUnited@edelman.com; and
c) Include your valid email address, legal name, address, city, state, post code, daytime phone number and date of birth.
8. There is a limit of one (1) entry per eligible entrant during the promotional period.
9. No responsibility will be taken by the Promoter for any ineligible, indecipherable, incomplete or lost entries or entries submitted or received by the Promoter after the closing date. Entries that do not comply with these terms and conditions are incomplete, or submitted or received by the Promoter after the closing date will be declared void.
10. The Promoter may, at its absolute discretion, disqualify any Eligible Entrant and declare any or all entries made by an Entrant invalid if Entrant/s:
a) Tamper with the entry process, including use of any automated entry software or any other mechanical or electronic means that permit the Entrant to automatically enter repeatedly; or
b) Tampers with the operation of the Promotion or web site or found to be using multiple aliases, household addresses or email addresses; or
c) Acts in a disruptive manner; or
d) Fails to establish their entitlement to enter the Promotion to the Promoter's reasonable satisfaction; or
e) Fails to produce items as required or produces items that, in the Promoters opinion, are illegible, stolen, forged, reconstructed, altered, incomplete or tampered with in any way; or
f) Deems to be offensive, inappropriate, defamatory or otherwise not in keeping with the spirit of the competition; or
g) Acts in violation of these Conditions of Entry.
Failure by the Promoter to enforce any of its rights at any stage does not constitute a waiver of those rights.
WINNER DETERMINATION AND PRIZE INFORMATION11. Judging for the competition will occur at Edelman Public Relations on behalf of United Airlines, Level 4, 24 York St, Sydney, NSW, 2000 ABN at 12:00pm AEDT on Thursday 28th December (Judging).
12. Judging will be conducted by two (2) or more representatives from Edelman Public Relations on behalf of the Promoter. All Eligible Entries received in the Promotion will be assessed in the judging process, whereby each Eligible Entry will be assessed on the basis of creativity.
13. This is a game of skill, and all entries will be judged based upon their response according to the judging criteria set out in clause 12 above.
14. A total of five (5) prizes are available, with one (1) to be awarded to each winner and a guest of their choosing. One (1) prize includes:
a) Return Economy Plus flights with United Airlines on the inaugural Sydney – Houston flight, departing 20th January 2018, returning to Sydney on 25th January 2018.
b) Five nights' accommodation in a four-star property, to the value of $1000 AUD total.
c) One complimentary Houston City Pass per person, for use during your stay.
The total Prize pool is valued at AU $4,250 (including GST) Prize values are accurate as at 15/12/2017 and The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any change in prize value between now and when the prize is sent to the winner. The winner is not entitled to receive any money from any party if there is a difference between the maximum prize value and the actual prize value at the time of the draw.
15. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any tax implications that may arise from winning of the prizes. Independent financial advice should be sought.
16. Prizes are not transferable or exchangeable and cannot be redeemed for cash.
17. The winners and their guests must be available for travel between the period of 20th January 2018 (outbound SYD - IAH flight), returning 25th January 2018 (inbound IAH to SYD flight).
18. Each Guest (or parent or legal guardian in the event guest is a minor) must sign a Travel Companion form within seven days of winner's receipt of written prize notification. If the guest is a minor, they must be accompanied by their parent or legal guardian
19. Flights are subject to availability and reservations are required. Blackout dates and holiday exclusions may apply. Airline tickets are non-refundable/non-transferable and are not valid for frequent flyer miles. All airline tickets are subject to flight variation, work stoppages, and schedule or route changes. Lost, stolen or damaged airline tickets, travel vouchers or certificates will not be replaced or exchanged. Sponsor shall not be responsible for any flight cancellations, delays or diversions. Prepaid card subject to standard terms and conditions.
20. Prize winner and guest are solely responsible for any costs or expenses associated with prize acceptance and use not specified above as part of prize description, including without limitation, ground transportation, additional air transportation (including any domestic flights to and from Sydney prior to the international flight departure on 20 January 2018 and post arrival back in Sydney on 25 January 2018) and accommodations, meals, tips, gratuities, beverages, sightseeing, souvenirs, excursions, baggage fees, incidentals and personal items, including any taxes associated with travel. No costs, fees or expenses are included as part of the prize unless specifically listed herein. Winner and guest are solely responsible for all required travel documents and/or identification (e.g., a valid government-issued photo ID, valid passport where required, visa, if required). Winner and guest are solely responsible for obtaining any travel insurance (and all other forms of insurance) at their option and hereby acknowledge that Sponsor has not and will not obtain or provide travel insurance or any other form of insurance.
21. The Promoter and its agencies and companies associated with this Promotion will not be liable for any loss (including but not limited to indirect or consequential loss), damage or personal injury which is suffered or sustained (including without limitation to that caused by any person's negligence) relating to the Promotion or the awarding or taking of the prizes except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law (in which case liability is limited to the minimum amount allowable by law).
22. Certain legislation may imply warranties or conditions or impose other obligations including statutory consumer guarantees which cannot be excluded, restricted or modified except to a limit extent. To the extent permitted by law, the Promoter excludes all guarantees, warranties, conditions or other terms that apply under or are implied by statute, common law or trade custom or usage.
23. If in the conduct of this Promotion the Promoter is liable for a breach of any guarantee, warranty, condition or other term that applies under the Australian Consumer Law or is implied by any other commonwealth, state or territory law that cannot be excluded, the promoter's liability under that legislation is limited, to the extent permitted by law, to the cost of replacement of any benefit or prize won.
24. If for any reason this competition is not capable of running as planned, including due to infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud, technical failures or any causes beyond the control of the Promoter, which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or integrity or proper conduct of this promotion, the Promoter reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, take any action that may be available, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the competition, subject to any written direction given by regulatory authorities.
25. Any attempt to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of this Promotion may be a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, whether successful or not, the Promoter reserves the right to seek damages to the fullest extent permitted by law.
NOTIFICATION OF PRIZE WINNER
26. The Judges reserve the right to select additional reserve entries as runner ups and record them in order of merit in case of an invalid entry, ineligible entrant or unclaimed prize.
27. The Prize winners will be notified via email, as provided upon RSVP to competition. Winners will be notified by Thursday, 28 December 2017.
28. The Judges' decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
29. Winners must contact Edelman via email (specified in the congratulations email) with their full name and email address and postage address within 7 days to claim their prize. The prizes will be sent to the winners at the email address or the delivery address specified in this message. Prizes will be delivered within 14 working days of the prize being claimed.
30. If the prize winner does not claim their prize within one week from the date of determination of that winner, their entry will be deemed invalid and the Promoter may award the prize to another winner judged in accordance with clause 20.
31. If the winning entry is invalid, that entry will be discarded and the prize will be awarded to another entry in accordance with clause 20.
32. Entrants understand that they are providing their information to the Promoter. The information entrants provide will only be used by the Promoter for the purpose of conducting this Promotion. Any questions, comments or complaints regarding this promotion must be directed to the Promoter.
33. By participating in this Promotion each participant grants the Promoter a perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide licence to use, reproduce, publish, distribute and disseminate all intellectual property rights in Entries that are capable of being licensed or assigned to the Promoter and consents to the Promoter using, reproducing or editing and adapting any Entry, if the Promoter wishes, in broadcast, electronic and print media, newsletters, in the Promoter merchandising and related marketing activities in whole or in part without attributing that Entry to the person who created it. The Promoter will endeavour to acknowledge and attribute authorship of Entries where possible.
34. By participating in this Promotion, you provide unconditional and irrevocable consent to the Promoter (and its successors, assigns and licensees) to commit any act or omission that would otherwise constitute an infringement of your moral rights. Without limiting the foregoing, you agree that the Promoter may reproduce or publish your Entry without attributing authorship.
When the pandemic began, United Cargo knew it would be critical to utilize its fleet, network and industry-leading pharmaceutical handling processes to transport a COVID-19 vaccine when the time came.
Connecting vaccines to the world: United responds to mass distribution effort
On November 27, United Airlines became the first commercial airline to safely deliver the first batch of Pfizer and BioNTech's COVID-19 vaccine into the U.S. thanks to a coordinated effort between United's cargo, safety, technical operations, flight operations, regulatory and legal teams.
Now as the entire shipping and logistics industry bands together to widely distribute vaccines, United is leveraging all of its flights, including cargo-only and those carrying passengers, to transport millions of vaccines to destinations throughout our network, including Honolulu, Guam and Saipan – the first of any carrier to do so.
"United's cargo service has helped safely deliver many essential goods during this pandemic, but there is no shipment that gives me more personal pride than helping bring this life-saving vaccine to our communities," said Jan Krems, United Cargo President. "While we still face a long road ahead the promise of a widely distributed vaccine gives us hope that we are one step closer to putting this pandemic behind us and moving forward together toward a brighter future."
And United is shipping more than just vaccines to help during the pandemic in keeping the lines of commerce flowing and goods getting to where they need to be. Since mid-March, United has operated 9,000 cargo-only flights carrying more than 435 million pounds of cargo. By using a combination of cargo-only flights and passenger flights, United Cargo has also transported 80 million pounds of medical supplies this year.
In coordination with our shipping and logistics partners, United will continue to distribute COVID-19 treatments to destinations throughout its network. The real heroes are the scientists who created these life-saving vaccines and the frontline workers who are not only administering them, but also helping care for and tend to those suffering from this virus. United is proud to do its part in helping to get this precious cargo to the people and communities who need them, and looks forward to doing our part in the months ahead.
United Cargo responds to COVID-19 challenges, prepares for what's next
September 30, 2020
Even before the COVID-19 pandemic, United Cargo has supported a variety of customers within the healthcare industry for over 10 years. Three key solutions – TempControl, LifeGuard and QuickPak – protect the integrity of vital shipments such as precision medicine, pharmaceuticals, biologics, medical equipment and vaccines. By utilizing processes like temperature monitoring, thermodynamic management, and priority boarding and handling, United Cargo gives customers the peace of mind that their shipments will be protected throughout their journey.
With the global demand for tailored pharmaceutical solutions at an all-time high, we've made investments to help ensure we provide the most reliable air cargo options for cold chain shipping. In April this year, we became the first U.S. carrier to lease temperature-controlled shipping containers manufactured by DoKaSch Temperature Solutions. We continue to partner with state-of-the-art container providers to ensure we have options that meet our customers' ever-changing needs.
"Providing safe air cargo transport for essential shipments has been a top priority since the pandemic began. While the entire air cargo industry has had its challenges, I'm proud of how United Cargo has adapted and thrived despite a significant reduction in network capacity and supply," said United Cargo President Jan Krems. "We remain committed to helping our customers make it through the pandemic, as well as to doing everything we can to be prepared for the COVID-19 vaccine distribution when the time comes."
Our entire team continues to prioritize moving critical shipments as part of our commitment to supporting the global supply chain. We've assembled a COVID readiness task team to ensure we have the right people in place and are preparing our airports as we get ready for the industry-wide effort that comes next.
In cooperation with our partners all over the world, United Cargo has helped transport nearly 145 million pounds of medical supplies to aid in the fight against COVID-19, using a combination of cargo-only flights and passenger flights. To date, United Cargo has operated more than 6,300 cargo-only flights and has transported more than 213 million pounds of cargo worldwide.
United Cargo responds to global needs, celebrates 5000th cargo-only flight
August 18, 2020
By Jan Krems, President, United Cargo
In mid-March, United took steps to manage the historic impact of COVID-19 and began flying a portion of our Boeing 777 and 787 fleets as dedicated cargo-only flights to transport air freight to and from U.S. hubs and key international business locations. More than ever, providing reliable cargo transportation was vitally important and I'm proud say our United Cargo team stepped up to support our customers.
Although we're facing the most challenging environment our industry has ever experienced, I'm very excited to celebrate a major milestone. Since March 19, United has operated over 5,000 cargo-only flights transporting nearly 170 million pounds of cargo on these flights alone. With an increased need to keep the global supply chain moving, and an even more urgent need for medical supplies, we knew we had to utilize our network capabilities and personnel to move vital shipments, such as medical kits, personal protective equipment (PPE), pharmaceuticals and medical equipment between U.S. hubs and key international destinations.
In cooperation with freight forwarders and partners all over the world, United Cargo helped transport more than 107 million pounds of medical supplies to aid in the fight against COVID-19 using a combination of cargo-only flights as well as passenger flights.
To keep military families connected, we increased the frequency of cargo-only flights between the U.S. and military bases in various parts of the world — including bases located in Guam, Kwajalein and several countries in Europe. We know how critically important it is for these families to stay connected, and I'm honored that we were able to utilize our network and our aircraft to fly nearly 3 million pounds of military supplies.
In collaboration with food-logistics company Commodity Forwarders Inc. (CFI), our cargo teams moved nearly 190,000 pounds of fresh produce to Guam for the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Coronavirus Farm Assistance Program. This new program was created to provide critical support to consumers impacted by the coronavirus pandemic.
United has played a critical role in keeping global supply chains stable during the pandemic as we deliver urgently needed goods around the world. These past few months have created challenges that I have never seen in my 30-plus years of experience working within the air cargo and freight forwarding industry. However, I'm proud of our teams for staying focused on our mission to provide high-quality service and to keep our customers connected with the goods they need most.
United Cargo and logistics partners keep critical medical shipments moving
July 02, 2020
By working together and strengthening partnerships during these unprecedented times, our global community has overcome challenges and created solutions to keep the global supply chain moving. As COVID-19 continues to disrupt the shipping landscape, United and our industry partners have increasingly demonstrated our commitment to the mission of delivering critical medical supplies across the world.
United Cargo has partnered with DSV Air and Sea, a leading global logistics company, to transport important pharmaceutical materials to places all over the world. One of the items most critical during the current crisis is blood plasma.
Plasma is a fragile product that requires very careful handling. Frozen blood plasma must be kept at a very low, stable temperature of negative 20 degrees Celsius or less – no easy task considering it must be transported between trucks, warehouses and airplanes, all while moving through the climates of different countries. Fortunately, along with our well-developed operational procedures and oversight, temperature-controlled shipping containers from partners like va-Q-tec can help protect these sensitive blood plasma shipments from temperature changes.
A single TWINx shipping container from va-Q-tec can accommodate over 1,750 pounds of temperature-sensitive cargo. Every week, DSV delivers 20 TWINx containers, each one filled to capacity with human blood plasma, for loading onto a Boeing 787-9 for transport. The joint effort to move thousands of pounds of blood plasma demonstrates that despite the distance, challenges in moving temperature-sensitive cargo and COVID-19 obstacles, we continue to find creative solutions with the help of our strong partnerships.
United Cargo is proud to keep the commercial air bridges open between the U.S. and the rest of the world. Since March 19, we have operated over 3,200 cargo-only flights between six U.S. hubs and over 20 cities in Asia, Australia, Europe, South America, India, the Caribbean and the Middle East.
United further expands cargo-only operations to key international markets
June 9, 2020
United has played a vital role in helping keep the global supply chains stable during the COVID-19 pandemic so urgently needed goods can get to the places that need them most.
In addition to current service from the U.S. to Asia, Australia, Europe, India, Latin America and the Middle East, we are proud to now offer cargo-only flights to key international markets including Dublin, Paris, Rome, Santiago and Zurich. These new routes will connect our freight customers and further extend our air cargo network throughout the world – for example connecting major pharmaceutical hubs in Europe and perishable markets in Latin America.
"Air cargo continues to be more important than ever," says United Cargo President Jan Krems. "This network expansion helps our customers continue to facilitate trade and contribute to global economic development and recovery. I'm proud of our team for mobilizing our cargo-only flights program that enables the shipment of critical goods that will support global economies."
Since we began our program March 19, we have completed more than 2,400 cargo-only flights, transporting over 77 million pounds of cargo. We have over 1,100 cargo-only flights scheduled for the month of June, operating between six U.S. hubs and over 20 cities all over the world.
United's first flight carrying cargo in-cabin takes off
May 13, 2020
United continues to keep supply chains moving and to meet the demand for critical shipments around the globe. Recently, United received approval from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to carry cargo in approved storage areas in the passenger cabin.
Our inaugural cargo-in-cabin flight flew from London (LHR) to Chicago (ORD) carrying over 4,200 pounds of mail in the passenger cabin, plus a full payload of freight in the belly of the aircraft. Initially, cargo-in-cabin shipments will be loaded on the 777 and 787 aircraft operating our cargo-only flights. We will continue to evaluate additional opportunities to use this space to meet the growing cargo demand.
"We send our sincere thanks to the FAA for working with our team to enable the transport of more critical goods on United's cargo-only flights," said Jan Krems, President of United Cargo. "By loading existing cabin storage areas with cargo and mail, we can move even more critical medical equipment, PPE, and other vital shipments the world needs to manage through the pandemic."
United's cargo-only network continues to expand in order to help bring vital shipments to the people that need it most. We're now offering service between six of our U.S. hubs and 18 airports worldwide: CTU, HKG, ICN, MEL, PEK, PVG, SIN, SYD and TPE in the Asia-Pacific; AMS, BOM, BRU, DUB, FRA, LHR, TLV and ZRH in EMEIA; and SJU in the Caribbean.
Since the start of its cargo-only flights program March 19, United has operated over 1,300 cargo-only flights transporting over 44 million pounds of cargo.
For more information, visit unitedcargo.com.
United expands cargo-only flights to additional global destinations
April 16, 2020
Getting vital goods, especially medical relief supplies, into the hands of the businesses and people who need them has never been more critically important. To meet the overwhelming demand, United began operating cargo-only flights on March 19. Since we began using Boeing 777 and 787 aircraft from United's passenger fleet for this purpose, we have operated over 400 flights carrying more than 6 million kilos of cargo.
"With the global community in need, we are doing everything we can to keep supply chains moving worldwide and support the battle against COVID-19," said United Cargo President Jan Krems. "We're proud to play an active role in connecting vital medical supplies like test kits and personal protective equipment with healthcare professionals around the world."
We are now operating more than 150 cargo-only flights per week between six of our U.S. hubs and 13 cities worldwide: CTU, HKG, PEK, PVG, SYD and TPE in the Asia Pacific; AMS, BRU, DUB, FRA and LHR in Europe; SJU in the Caribbean and TLV in the Middle East. We expect to add new cities soon and will continue to expand our cargo-only flights program.
|Hub||Cargo-only flights operating through May|
ORD - AMS (Amsterdam)
ORD - FRA (Frankfurt)
ORD - HKG (Hong Kong)
ORD - LHR (London)
ORD - NRT (Tokyo Narita) - PEK (Beijing)
IAH - AMS (Amsterdam)
IAD - FRA (Frankfurt)
|Los Angeles (LAX)||
LAX - HKG (Hong Kong)
LAX - LHR (London Heathrow)
LAX - NRT (Tokyo Narita) - PVG (Shanghai)
LAX - SYD (Sydney)
|New York/Newark (EWR)||
EWR - AMS (Amsterdam)
EWR - FRA (Frankfurt)
EWR - LHR (London)
|San Francisco (SFO)||
SFO - AMS (Amsterdam)
SFO - NRT (Tokyo Narita) - PEK (Beijing)
SFO - NRT (Tokyo Narita) - PVG (Shanghai)
SFO - NRT (Tokyo Narita) - TPE (Taipei)
SFO - TLV (Tel Aviv)
SFO - SYD (Sydney)
|Washington, D.C. (IAD)||
IAD - BRU (Brussels)
IAD - DUB (Dublin)
IAD - FRA (Frankfurt)
IAD - NRT (Tokyo Narita) - PEK (Beijing)
IAD - SJU (San Juan)
Flight details are subject to change, for the most up-to-date schedules, please visit https://ual.unitedcargo.com/covid-updates.
Cargo-only flights support U.S. military and their families
March 30, 2020
We are helping to keep military families connected by increasing the frequency of cargo-only flights between the United States and military bases in various parts of the world — including Guam, Kwajalein, and several countries in Europe. Last week we began operating a minimum of 40 cargo-only flights weekly — using Boeing 777 and 787 aircraft to fly freight and mail to and from U.S. hubs and key international business and military locations.
We are going above and beyond to find creative ways to transport fresh food and produce, as well as basic essentials from the U.S. mainland to military and their families in Guam/Micronesia. On Saturday, March 28, we operated an exclusive cargo-only B777-300 charter to transport nearly 100,000 pounds of food essentials to Guam to support our troops.
In addition, we move mail year-round all over the world. In response to COVID-19, and in support of the military members and their families overseas, we implemented a charter network, transporting military mail to Frankfurt, which is then transported all over Europe and the Middle East. Since March 20, we have flown 30,000+ pounds of military mail every day between Chicago O'Hare (ORD) and Frankfurt (FRA). On the return flight from Frankfurt to Chicago, we have carried an average of 35,000 pounds of mail to help families stay connected.
"Keeping our military families connected with the goods they need, and keeping them connected with loved ones to feel a sense of home, is of critical importance. As a company that has long supported our military families and veterans, our teams are proud to mobilize to lend a hand." — United Cargo President Jan Krems.
Our cargo-only flights support customers, keep planes moving
March 22, 2020
We have begun flying a portion of our Boeing 777 and 787 fleet as dedicated cargo charter aircraft to transfer freight to and from U.S. hubs and key international business locations. The first of these freight-only flights departed on March 19 from Chicago O'Hare International Airport (ORD) to Frankfurt International Airport (FRA) with the cargo hold completely full, with more than 29,000 lbs. of goods.
Getting critical goods into the hands of the businesses and people who need them most is extremely important right now. To support customers, employees and the global economy, we will initially operate a schedule of 40 cargo charters each week targeting international destinations and will continue to seek additional opportunities.
With coronavirus (COVID-19) creating an increased need to keep the global supply chain moving, we are utilizing our network capabilities and personnel to get vital shipments, such as medical supplies, to areas that need them most.
"Connecting products to people around the world is the United Cargo mission," said United Cargo President Jan Krems. "That role has never been more crucial than during the current crisis. Our team is working around the clock to provide innovative solutions for our customers and support the global community."
On average, we ship more than 1 billion pounds of cargo every year on behalf of domestic and international customers. For more information, visit unitedcargo.com.
CHICAGO, Dec. 1, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- United is inviting MileagePlus members to give back on Giving Tuesday and throughout the holiday season by donating miles to nearly 40 non-profits through United Airlines' crowdsourcing platform, Miles on a Mission. Non-profits like Thurgood Marshall College Fund, College to Congress and Compass to Care are attempting to raise a total of more than 11 million miles to be used for travel for life-saving health care, continued education, humanitarian aid and more. United will match the first 125,000 miles raised for each of these organizations to help ensure they meet their goals.
"This year has posed unprecedented challenges for us all and has been especially devastating to some of the most vulnerable members within the communities we serve," said Suzi Cabo, managing director of global community engagement, United Airlines. "The need for charitable giving has not stopped during the pandemic, and neither has United. This Giving Tuesday marks an opportunity for us to all come together for the greater good and we are proud to provide a platform to support organizations with upcoming travel needs that will enable them to continue supporting the communities they serve."
The launch of these campaigns is part of United's ongoing Miles on a Mission program, which began in October 2019 and has raised more than 92 million miles to-date. Past campaigns have helped organizations travel children for life-saving medical treatment and unite parents with newly adopted children from foreign countries. Participating non-profits have 28-days to reach their mile raising goals through the platform.
The organizations that are raising miles in this campaign include:
- College to Congress: The organization provides support including travel for disadvantaged college students who otherwise could not afford to intern in Washington, D.C.
- Thurgood Marshall College Fund: This is the only national organization representing America's 47 publicly-supported Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), and the nearly 300,000 students that attend them each year. The miles raised will cover the travel expenses to and from campus for students unable to afford them.
- My Block, My Hood, My City: This organization provides underprivileged youth with an awareness of the world and opportunities beyond their neighborhood. Miles will be used to fund educational trips for Chicago youths to help them gain a greater understanding of the world outside of their comfort zones.
- Compass to Care: The non-profit ensures all children, whose parents have a financial need, can access life-saving cancer treatment. Compass to Care is raising miles to fund travel to get children from their homes to hospitals for cancer treatment.
- Luke's Wings: This organization is dedicated to the support of service members who have been wounded in battle. Raised miles will be used to purchase plane tickets for families to visit wounded soldiers recovering in Army medical centers.
- Rainbow Railroad USA: The organization's mission is to help persecuted LGBTQI+ individuals around the world travel to safety as they seek a haven from persecution. Miles will support the organization's core Emergency Travel Support program.
This year, United's legal partner Kirkland & Ellis will also be donating $50,000 to My Block, My Hood, My City and the Thurgood Marshall College Fund. Other organizations launching campaigns on the platform include: Sisters of the Skies, Inc., Up2Us Sports, Airline Ambassadors International, Austin Smiles, AWS Foundation, Crazy Horse Memorial, FLYTE, Higher Orbits, Lily's Hope Foundation, Miles4Migrants, Support Utila Inc. and Watts of Love. MileagePlus members can also donate to United's 20 other existing partner charities including, Airlink, American Red Cross, Make-A-Wish, Shriners Hospitals; Clean the World, Special Olympics and more. To learn more or donate to these organizations, please visit donate.mileageplus.com.
Visit www.united.com/everyactioncounts to learn more about our pledge to put our people and planes to work for the greater good.
United's shared purpose is "Connecting People. Uniting the World." For more information, visit united.com, follow @United on Twitter and Instagram or connect on Facebook. The common stock of United's parent, United Airlines Holdings, Inc., is traded on the Nasdaq under the symbol "UAL".
SOURCE United Airlines
For further information: United Airlines Worldwide Media Relations, +1-872-825-8640, firstname.lastname@example.org
In October 2019, we launched a first-of-its-kind airline miles donation platform, Miles on a Mission. In the inaugural year, MileagePlus members donated over 70 million miles, with United matching over 20 million miles, to 51 organizations. These miles have allowed for these organizations to do important, life-changing, life-saving work in the communities we serve around the globe.
Whether it's visiting friends and relatives, traveling for work or simply exploring a new corner of the world, we all have a reason as to why we fly. No matter the reason you fly, the miles you earn and donate help our Miles on a Mission partners soar. Take a look at how some of our partner organizations have put our MileagePlus Members' donations to work.
"To deliver life-saving cells and hope to Be the Match patients, like me!"
"These donated miles will support Born This Way Foundation's mission of supporting the wellness of LGBTQ+ youth — and all young people — by expanding access to mental health resources and promoting kindness."
"Combined Arms is uniting communities to accelerate the impact of veterans and their families."
"To help children get to life-saving cancer treatment"
"We fly to save. We fly to save lives, saving homeless veterans anywhere, any time."
"Gift of Adoption flies to unite children with their families — giving them a chance to thrive!"
"Holocaust Museum Houston flies United to educate people about the dangers of hatred, prejudice and apathy. Holocaust Museum Houston flies United to connect teachers with Holocaust and human rights educational resources."
"We fly today so those living with ALS can have a better tomorrow."
"At Lazarex we fly patients with cancer to clinical trials for hope and a chance at life!"
"Donate your miles to help refugees reach safe homes for the holidays."
"To get vital relief and recovery aid where it's needed most!"
"We fly to educate and empower girls in Peru."
"To collaborate with partners & promote that #FoodIsMedicine"
"United helps our medical teams deliver hope and support when people need it most!"
"We fly to bring hope to 2 million people around the globe facing food insecurity."
"To make waves to fight cancer."
"Because every LGBTQ young person deserves to be valued, respected and loved for who they are."
"My team needs me now more than ever. I will be there for them!"
"Watts of Love brings solar light and hope to those living in the darkness of poverty!"
"To bring access to clean water for everyone that needs it."
Together, we are facing an unprecedented challenge. United Together, we rise to meet that challenge.
Calling all AvGeeks and travelers! Take your next video call from a United Polaris® seat, the cockpit or cruising altitude with United-themed backgrounds for use on Zoom and Microsoft Teams.
Newly added to our collection is a background encouraging our employees and customers to vote. Our mission is to connect people and unite the world — and one of the most important ways to do that is to engage in the democratic process. No matter which party you support, we know our democracy will be stronger if you make your voice heard and vote.
So for your next meeting or catch up with friends and family, download the app to either your computer or mobile device to get started.
To use on Zoom:
- Start here by downloading your favorite United image to your computer or mobile device. Just click "download" in the bottom left corner of the image.
- Next go to your Zoom app (you'll need to download the app to access backgrounds) and click on the arrow to the right of your video camera icon in the bottom of the screen.
- From here select, "choose virtual background" to upload your uniquely United photo.
To use on Microsoft Teams:
- Start by downloading your favorite United image to your computer. Just click "download" in the bottom left corner of the image.
- If you're using a PC, copy the image you want to use into this folder:
- C:\[insert your device user name here]\AppData\Microsoft\Teams\Backgrounds\Uploads
- If you're using a Mac copy the images to this folder on your computer:
- /users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Teams/Backgrounds/Uploads
- If you're using a PC, copy the image you want to use into this folder:
- Once you start a Teams meeting, click the "…" in the menu bar and select "Show background effects" and your image should be there
Watch our most popular videos
This is why we fly.
20 UCSF Health workers, who voluntarily set aside their own lives to help save lives, are on their way to New York City.
We are humbled by your selfless sacrifice.
In celebration and appreciation of all first responders and essential workers. 👏🏻👏🏼👏🏽👏🏾👏🏿
This is the story of Jason and Shantel. You see, Jason and Shantel love each other very much. They also love traveling and they love the classic Adam Sandler film, The Wedding Singer.
It all began when Jason reached out to United's social media team, hoping for assistance with his upcoming plan to propose. Some phone calls and one borrowed guitar later, the stage was set for Jason. Put all that together, mix in some helpful United employees and, voila, you have a truly memorable marriage proposal. Congratulations to this fun-loving and happy couple, and here's to many more years of making beautiful music together.
A big thank you to Chicago-based flight attendants Donna W., Marie M., Karen J. and Mark K. for making this proposal come to life.