The best ways to pass time on a flight
We all love traveling to beautiful and exciting destinations, but for some, finding things to do to pass the time may seem daunting. If that sounds like you, here are a few simple suggestions that will help make your next flight a breeze.
Traveling with young children
- When flying with young children, reading to them about airplanes before the trip will help get them excited, and it will also give your family something fun to talk about while you're in the air. Filled with colorful pictures and charming text, "The Airport Book" by Lisa Brown offers a wonderful introduction to first-time flyers, ages 5 through 7.
- For longer trips, parents can buy a few small toys or treats from a local dollar store and wrap them individually to unveil throughout the flight.
Traveling with teens
- Reading is a great way to pass the time, so surprise your teenager with the latest young adult bestseller, bring along some educational magazines or introduce them to our award-winning inflight magazines, Hemispheres and Rhapsody, which you can always find onboard.
- It's hard to stay in your seat the whole time and even harder on your muscles. When allowed to move about the cabin, encourage your teen (and yourself) to take quick walking breaks every couple of hours on longer flights. You'll be amazed at how a little physical movement and some simple stretching can turn longer trips into manageable blocks of time.
For the business travelers
- For the business traveler who wants a break from a digital screen, relax your eyes with an audiobook on your next flight.
- If staying connected to the office helps you pass the time, then United Wi-Fi is exactly what you need. This high-speed wireless service is available for purchase on nearly all of United's mainline aircraft and two-cabin United Express aircraft, so you can check your emails while flying to your next meeting or trade show.
- Long flights are perfect for binge watching, so download a new series to your personal laptop or tablet before your trip, or save the storage space and enjoy our DIRECTV programming, available for purchase on select Boeing 737 and 757-300 aircraft. With access to more than 100 of your favorite TV channels, plus the latest Hollywood blockbusters, passing the time on an airplane has never been easier.
- For additional inflight entertainment, try Personal device entertainment, one of our free United Private ScreeningSM options. From new Hollywood releases to popular TV channels, there is something for everyone. United Private Screening is available on select aircraft and can be viewed using your personal laptop, Apple IOS device or Android device.